The Student News Site of Shorewood High School

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Beyonce release takes top Billboard Country Spot

courtesy Pitchfork

We are being serenaded this winter by Beyoncé. On Superbowl Sunday, she released two new songs with promises of a new album out in March. Beyoncé stated in the past that her most recent album Renaissance was only Act I of a three-act project she cooked up during the pandemic. Then, in an advertisement with Verizon, Beyoncé announced her new music’s out: the two songs “Texas Hold ‘Em” and “16 Carriages.” She also announced her next album, Act II of her project, is coming out March 29th. Some fans have been suspecting that Beyoncé would release country music ever since she wore a cowboy hat to the Grammys. What may have seemed like a jump to conclusions was actually right, as these songs are country.

Beyoncé announcing a country album isn’t a complete shock. Growing up in Houston, Texas, her Southern country roots were bound to sprout at some point in her career. She isn’t new to singing country songs either – “Daddy Lessons” from her 2016 album Lemonade was her first time embracing the genre. At the 2016 Country Music Awards, Bey performed the song with The Chicks, causing anger in right-wing country fans. The hate didn’t stop her — look at her now.

The song “Texas Hold ‘Em” calls for a hoedown, so grab your cowboy boots! In the song, Beyoncé calls for the listener to lay their cards down, meaning to bring their guard down and dance. As much as the song is a true country song — not an R&B song like some publications have mislabelled it as — it still sounds uniquely Beyonce. The lyrics consist of typical country themes: Texas, her hometown, cards, drinking, and dancing. It makes for a catchy song, but it goes past surface-level lyrics when you really listen. Also, she sings her own backup vocals and serves beautiful vocals.

The second song released is “16 Carriages” and it’s the ballad we all need. The carriages allude to Bey touring; the lyrics symbolize traveling around. This song’s lyrics also speak of her time as a teenager and its uproot when joining Destiny’s Child. Yes, the group was very successful and worked out, but, regardless, Beyoncé left her childhood behind. “At fifteen, the innocence was gone astray / Had to leave my home at an early age,” she sings. The song is about the pains and struggles of her life, and you can feel the depth of her emotions through her voice. The song has been on repeat; it makes you feel like a brave Southern woman ready to take on the world.

“Texas Hold ’Em” earned Beyoncé her first #1 spot on the Billboard’s “Hot Country Songs”. This also made her become the first Black woman to hold the top spot. As good as “Texas Hold ‘Em” is, we believe “16 Carriages” is better, and hopefully it’ll get its moment too. The ballad conveys raw emotions rarely heard in contemporary country music. It’s not a song about a breakup, or faith, but about life itself; moving on, starting over, and discovering yourself.

So do not ask us if we are busy March 29th, because we will be busy listening to Beyoncé’s country album. Hopefully every song is as good as these two.