The Student News Site of Shorewood High School

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Habitat for Humanity visits Village Center

The program sparked dialogue about housing issues in Milwaukee

On February 27, the Milwaukee Habitat for Humanity (HFH) hosted a Housing, Race, and Equity workshop at the Shorewood Village Center.

Beth Van Gorp, Director of Advocacy at Milwaukee HFH, believes that addressing housing issues in the community is the best way to ensure affordable and adequate housing for everyone. 

“[Housing inequity] is not a history that everybody knows,” Van Gorp said. “We have to understand what’s happening if we want to understand what [will] happen going forward…we want to move people toward action.”

Throughout the session, participants explored the health of Milwaukee by navigating primary sources such as data maps that document various economic, social, and physical impacts of Milwaukee’s history of redlining. Participants also discussed a historical timeline of Milwaukee’s segregated housing. 

“We wanted something that would go deeper and explain why Milwaukee is the way it is…Then people can make their decision on whether [Milwaukee’s current state] is good news or bad news or in between,” Van Gorp said. 

Next, the group reviewed Wisconsin state legislation along with additional factors that have played a role in Milwaukee housing crises since 1968. 

“Then we move[ed] on to talk about more housing policy and more recent housing issues,” Van Gorp said. 

Small groups discussed their observations in detail, then shared out among the larger audience. The data presented is up to interpretation among individuals. One major observation taken is that well-structured housing has proven to be a vital role in prospering communities. 

“Good, solid housing is healthier for people,” Van Gorp said. “They are not exposed to lead or asbestos or mold. On a broader level, we know that when there is good housing, the community is safer and more stable for both homeowners and renters.”

According to Van Gorp, while looking into different housing issues, it is crucial to understand the gravity of the impact race can have.`

“I think one thing people may find interesting is the history of racially restrictive covenants in Shorewood,” Van Gorp said. “As well as some of the maps that are showing the health in the community.”

We wanted something that would go deeper and explain why Milwaukee is the way it is…”

— Beth Van Gorp

There is some hesitance with delving into this issue in workshops, but it is a factor that must be taken into consideration. 

“I want to let people know that we are looking at data and people have found it to be a safe space [to talk] about these topics,” Van Gorp said. “We look at some hard things, but we hope to leave at a positive moment of moving toward action.”

According to Van Gorp, an idea that started as a brief conversation between coworkers turned into a beloved workshop for both HFH and surrounding communities

“It’s exciting to see [interest in] these issues come up, things that I think people should talk about and care about,” Van Gorp said. 

Ultimately, community participation and awareness is important in order to move forward and take action. 

“I am just really excited about the collaboration that is making this happen in Shorewood, between the municipalities, the village, the school, and the library,” Van Gorp said.