The Student News Site of Shorewood High School

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Sports Club, a new club for athletes

The Shorewood Sports Club, advised by math teacher Steve Andris and led by sophomore Maxwell Reeve, is dedicated to fostering a passion for athletics within the student body. They recently hosted their annual three-on-three basketball tournament, breaking participation and engagement records.

“Sports Club started last year in consultation with a group of freshman boys, led by Max Reeve,” Andris said. “When [Max] started it, his goal was to get kids playing some sports, like the three-on-three tournament, but also to get kids interested in sports.”

As Reeve was entering his first year of high school, he was unsuccessful in finding clubs that truly embodied what he was looking for in an extracurricular activity. 

“I realized that the boys in our grade would definitely be interested in a nice, fun, and competitive environment where everyone has a good time,” Reeve said. 

The 3 v.s 3 tournament is one of the club’s most anticipated events of the year. 

“All the teams competing in this have a fun and competitive environment,” Reeve said. “We get fans there, teachers, and people are just there having a good time; it’s just a nice break to the day.”

The tournament this year hosted a record 16 teams and 48 members.

“It’s a three-on-three basketball tournament—teams are randomly picked and captains are chosen, then teams are filled in randomly,” Andris said. “Each team plays each other in a best to three series and then they keep going until one team is left.” 

As the tournament continues to unfold, both the event and club continue to be a source of interest and camaraderie for both players and spectators alike. 

“I think the building of bonds and new relationships is really what just sets [Sports Club] apart from other clubs,” Reeve said. “Sports Club provides a fun and energizing experience where boys can be competitive and show their true spirits.”