The Student News Site of Shorewood High School

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Student talent flourishes at AFS Showcase

courtesy Nico Murphy

AFS Showcase returned for its annual performances on November 10 and 11. Showcase is a fundraiser for the American Field Service Intercultural Programs (AFS). 50% of the proceeds go towards AFS opportunities and scholarships, and the other 50% goes towards the Drama department.

While drama productions throughout the year are run by the directors of the Drama department, Showcase is almost entirely student-run. Students of all grades auditioned in early October to be a part of the show.

I’ve always loved to perform and I think Showcase is a great opportunity for a ton of people to show their talents,” said Meera Antigua, sophomore.

Additionally, juniors and seniors can apply to be student directors to experience a new form of leadership.

“I chose to direct because it sounded like a fun opportunity,” said Daphne Shearburn, senior and student director. “I wanted to continue making the program a fun and successful environment for everyone to showcase their talent.” 

The department directors are more involved with the business aspects that bring the show from rehearsal rooms, to the stage.

“[I help out] if there are spaces that need to be booked or faculty that need to be communicated with,” said Adam Sheaffer, Drama Director. ”I do whatever the student directors need me to do that’s not directly connected to creating what you see on stage.”

This year’s Showcase featured around 30 acts, a significant increase compared to last year’s lineup of 17 acts. Student directors were responsible for organizing the acts.

“For me the biggest responsibility has been making schedules and making sure everyone’s there on time,” Shearburn said. “Accommodating everyone’s schedule [has been] really hard, but it’s definitely been worth it.”

Students who performed were required to get their acts ready in the month leading up to the event, which involved rehearsals both in and out of school.

“[It’s important] to be responsible for your own act and know what you’re doing,” Antigua said. “And there are a few tech rehearsals that you have to show up for. I think it’s important that you make a commitment to something you care about.” 

Tech week, the last week of rehearsals before the show, brought all the elements of the production together to ensure that it was prepared for the audience.

“The hardest part [of Showcase] is probably sitting through tech because it’s just a tedious process,” Antigua said.

Different acts underwent slight changes and variations from the time of auditions to show week.

“My favorite aspect is watching auditions transform into the performance you see,” Shearburn said. “The growth is amazing to see.” 

Types of acts have changed over the years that Showcase has been put on, and the variety and amount of acts has changed depending on how much interest is piqued in the school population. 

“We have a little bit more diversity, as far as types of acts,” Sheaffer said. “We also have some dancing which we did not have at all last year. [I’m] trying to bring it back to what it was or just make it into something that’s bigger and better than it’s ever been.”

Additionally, Sheaffer expressed excitement for how Showcase will continue to evolve in the years to come.

“[My hopes would be] building a culture where at the beginning of the year, Showcase is already on people’s minds,” Sheaffer said. “So that people are [thinking] about it without me having to tell them.”