The Student News Site of Shorewood High School

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Farmers Market wraps up successful season

This year’s Shorewood Farmers Market came to a close on September 29 after more than four months of providing fresh produce, food products, and weekly entertainment. The market aims to foster a sense of unity between farmer and consumer and among the community as a whole.

Sadhna Morato-Lindvall is President of the Shorewood Foundation and a longtime Shorewood community member. The Shorewood Foundation has provided monetary support to the Market since its establishment in 2015, when the Foundation gave the Market a $10,000 starter grant.

“At the time, there wasn’t a seasonal market space like this in our village, and the concept of markets like this was newer to our area,” Morato-Lindvall said. “The Farmers Market has become a treasured asset that many in Shorewood look forward to each year.”

One of the Foundation’s goals is to unite the community under a sense of celebration for the village. This has certainly been achieved, Morato-Lindvall says, as the Market continues to expand each year, not only uniting the Shorewood community but attracting visitors from outside the village as well.

“What started as a small community event in the parking lot at Atwater School now spans a larger, more trafficked space in Estabrook Park, bringing in dozens of vendors with fresh produce, goods, and entertainment,” Morato-Lindvall said.

Hannah Arnold, owner of Empress Baking Company, had her second year at the market this summer. She emphasizes the loneliness that can come with being a small business owner, but that coming to the Market and connecting with people face-to-face can help alleviate that feeling.

The Farmers Market has become a treasured asset that many in Shorewood look forward to each year.

— Sadhna Morato-Lindvall, Shorewood Foundation

“[My favorite part is] definitely the people I meet,” Arnold said. “Hands down, I have more positive, genuine interactions here than anywhere else.”

Arnold started her business by herself in her kitchen, but has expanded and is now working with her husband. In addition to the market, she sells products wholesale at a few local spots, but does not have a permanent storefront.

“There’s a lot of hauling stuff around [in] my car,” Arnold said. “At any given time [it] has, like, 300 pounds of equipment in it. [There’s a lot of] getting up early in the morning and getting all this stuff in and out of the oven and packing it up.”

Vendors were responsible for both setting up and taking down their tables, tents, and money. The market was open every weekend, rain or shine, which could prove troublesome for vendors in the face of unpredictable weather. Attendance at the Market was also unpredictable, as schedules fluctuate with the end of summer and beginning of the school year.

“You never know who’s going to show up,” Arnold said. “You can show up with all of this stuff that’s good for one day, and if you don’t sell it, you’re out of luck.”

Josie Van Slyke of Rocket Baby Bakery reflects on the business’s first year as part of the Shorewood Farmers Market, which was largely successful. She mentions forming close relationships with both the community and other vendors, contributing to an overall positive atmosphere. 

“Rocket Baby has already had a pretty big name in the Shorewood community for a while, so it was kind of cool being a new [vendor.]” said Van Slyke. “We were able to make more money and more connections in Shorewood because of that.”

In addition to the bonds forged, farmers’ markets provide a dedicated space to promote and sell goods for farmers and businesses without one. 

“Farmers’ markets are already just a great idea,” Van Slyke said. “It gives vendors a chance to show their stuff without having to have a permanent location, a brick-and-mortar.”

According to Van Slyke, after the work day, workers at Rocket Baby Bakery are able to walk through the market and take in the cool fall weather.

“[The market is] pretty big,“ Van Slyke said. “You just keep walking down. It’s not hard to find anything; it’s really organized.”