The Student News Site of Shorewood High School

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

New club brings light to Latine culture

Charlie Burns begins chapter of Latinos Unidos at Shorewood

One of many new clubs popping up around SHS going into the 2324 school year, Latinos Unidos aims to bring people interested or involved in Latino culture together.

“The one thing I saw that was lacking when I looked at the [Shorewood’s] clubs lists was I didn’t really see a Latino or Hispanic club whatsoever,” said Charlie Burns, club founder. “Over this summer there was a Supreme Court decision to remove affirmative action, so one of the only ways now that students of color can get their diversity onto their application is through clubs and their essays.”

Burns elevated the importance of having this club as a way to connect people interested in Latino heritage and culture. 

“It’s a place where this group of students [can get] to know each other,” Burns said. “And then when you’re seeing each other in the halls and you’re just making new friends…being more in touch with your culture and things like that.”

Lina Burns, club member, expressed excitement for the formation of Latinos Unidos at Shorewood. 

“[I’m most excited for] finally having some representation,” L. Burns said. “I think it was very needed…and I am really excited to see how [this club] flourishes and what we do with it.”

1. Burns is not the only person enthusiastic about the formation of Latinos Unidos. 

“I’ve known Charlie [Burns] since he was a freshman and he has a lot of good enthusiasm about his culture,” said Jason Lowery, Spanish teacher and club advisor. “As a Spanish teacher, when I got approached by somebody who asked if I wanted to be the advisor for Latinos Unidos, I jumped at it.”

Lowery expanded on the importance of having this club at Shorewood. 

“It’s a nice space that welcomes those with that background and also people who are interested in the Latine community, the culture and the Spanish language,” Lowery said. “There’s not a space that directly represents the Latine community, and you don’t have to be part of the Latine community [to join], I have no Latine background to speak of myself.”

Having a variety of clubs gives students the opportunity to learn more about themselves and their peers. 

“It’s a safe place because there’s no other clubs for this type of thing,” said L. Burns.

Latinos Unidos is hoping to go on some trips outside of school, while also hosting some projects inside of school. 

”Right now, we’re thinking of doing a possible field trip to [the] Chicago Art Museum,” C. Burns said. “Also, possibly after school or for the whole school, a culture fest or hiring a Latino dance company and putting on another formal or a dance.”

Overall, Latinos Unidos is a club meant to connect people interested in the same thing in an informal, relaxed setting. 

“It’s really low commitment,” C. Burns said. “It’s just something that you can just come in, show up, hang out, meet people, eat food, play games and have fun.” 

“Even though it’s called Latinos Unidos, that is not intended to be exclusionary,” Lowery said. “Everybody is welcome.”