The Student News Site of Shorewood High School

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood Ripples

Shorewood back in compliance with statute

Wisconsin state statute 118.06 requires that all public schools offer the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance every school day. Though no student may be compelled to recite the Pledge, the option must be presented. 

Before Covid, the recitation preceded daily announcements, and when students returned from virtual school, announcements only occurred during Advisory. This year, however, announcements are back on a daily schedule, and with them, the Pledge.

“We offer it, but … students have choices, and we’re not going to make you do one way or the other,” said Jess McCabe, Administrative Assistant. “We want you to do what feels right for you.”

The statute applies to grades one through 12. Kris Cryns, fourth-grade teacher at Atwater, notes that students who may have objections to reciting the Pledge are typically respected by their peers, and are able to exercise their personal freedoms.

“I would say 23 of my 26 students stand,” Cryns said. “No one is forced to … but most students do.”

The recitation of the Pledge in schools has been a contentious issue for decades. In recent years, differing beliefs have been presented regarding Pledge recitation, and Cryns believes in respecting these opinions in the classroom. 

We have [become] more aware of that than in past years,” Cryns said. “I think it was more of an expectation a long time ago, where now, it is something you can choose to participate in.”

However, there are concerns about the understanding of the Pledge at the elementary level. Cryns has observed her students struggle with comprehending the phrasing of these patriotic expressions in particular.

“[I think] they are too young to really grasp the real idea,” Cryns said.

Amelia O’Brien, art teacher, has had conversations about the Pledge in her classroom. She hopes that by high school, students are able to reflect more deeply about what the Pledge means to them and their rights to express their beliefs.

“The Pledge being a part of school seems so baked-in that we don’t even think about where it comes from, or who’s deciding that we do it,” O’Brien said. “It’s worth learning about the Pledge, and it’s worth knowing what it means before you say it.”

To help introduce civic understanding and engagement in her classroom, Cryns places an emphasis on involving students in the Shorewood community. This includes things like beach cleanups, making posters to promote voting, and learning where to vote.

“[Elementary schoolers] have a responsibility, just like how adults have responsibilities,” Cryns said. “We can help by making sure they understand their responsibilities in being part of the community of Shorewood.” 

Along with the Pledge, flags have been reimplemented into classrooms after construction left many without a display.

“I [don’t think that] the flag is really a decisive matter in the learning environment,” O’Brien said. “I don’t feel like anyone noticed there wasn’t a flag until we got the email.”

With this update, Shorewood is in compliance with the Wisconsin Legislature requirements.