New period draws varied opinions

Since the beginning of the school year, SHS students have been attending a new class called Advisory. The class lasts 30 minutes every Tuesday and Thursday, giving students an opportunity to work on schoolwork for the rest of the day. It focuses on academic support and community building, but students have mixed opinions on the new class.

“Most other people just seem kind of bored by it,” said Enzo Litz, freshman.

Teachers and staff who have an Advisory section are also questioning student interest levels. 

“At least in my Advisory I don’t see a lot of engagement in it,” said Michael Sell, science teacher and advisor to a freshman class. “It doesn’t seem like students really like it so far, at least in my class.”

One reason for disengagement may be that the class has not really kicked off yet. 

“It’s mostly been just icebreakers and our teacher giving us information about clubs and the school,” said Jana Abdullatef, freshman. 

It’s mostly been just icebreakers and our teacher giving us information about clubs and the school,

— Jana Abdullatef, freshman

The new Advisory class comes with the switch back to a normal daily class schedule this year. Some students find the new schedule disruptive and confusing. 

“I think that a lot of people had a similar reaction to myself at first, as in they were confused by why we were having Advisory twice a week,” said Juliet Peterka, senior. “[We] thought that it was just an unnecessary period of time when we could be in class.”

Aside from this year’s schedule switch, for some upperclassmen, the switch to Advisory from the previously used homeroom has been underwhelming.

“Advisory bonding [activites] haven’t been as popular among seniors especially, because we feel like ‘oh, we know all these people, we’ve been in a class with them for 12 years,’” Peterka said.

There are positives to the new class, such as helping students stay informed and getting break time from other classes. 

“I get information about what’s happening at school and what I need to know,” Peterka said. “I think people really appreciate the time to just take a break from school, do homework and chat with their friends.” 

In this respect, the class is similar to a study hall, with some teachers giving their Advisory time to catch up on work and learn about clubs. While the complicated schedule can seem unnecessary for some students, they also see the reason for its creation.

I think people really appreciate the time to just take a break from school, do homework and chat with their friends,

— Juliet Peterka, senior

“I think it just cuts into other class times and kind of disrupts the morning, but usually when I’m there I’m glad to have it just to work and stuff,” Litz said.

Despite its relaxed beginnings, Advisory has two clear goals: academic assistance and building community. To achieve these goals, advisors check in with students to help them stay organized and caught up in classes. Students can also form bonds with their class and advisor, and have someplace to go for emotional help. 

“From what I understand it’s two [goals],” Sell said. “[There’s] the sort of the connectedness and emotional wellbeing part, but from what I understand there’s the academic part too.” 

Students also see the efforts of staff to provide support for their Advisory classes.

“[My teacher will] meet individually with students and ask about stuff, so I definitely feel supported by him,” Litz said.

Despite some general disengagement and doubt concerning Advisory, Sell is convinced it just needs time for students to be more accustomed to. 

“If done right, I think it can be a really good idea,” Sell said. “I have a positive outlook on it and hope that we can do it right and it’ll work out well.”