Yearbook release date pushed to August

Copperdome, the yearbook club, will be sending out the yearbook in August instead of the normal early June release.

“We were hoping that the spring would give us better photo opportunities, so we would be able to include things like spring sports and graduation,” said Amelia Hernandez, yearbook advisor.

This is not an uncommon schedule for many high schools. Although Shorewood does a spring delivery, meaning the only events featured in the yearbook are those that happen before March, many other schools choose instead to do a full year yearbook, which is delivered over the summer. 

A summer delivery will also provide more time for the staff to complete the yearbook. The process has been slightly delayed for various reasons, mainly the difficulties of collecting student photos.

Since we have to collect individual photos from every student this year, it’s just more challenging…

— Amelia Hernandez, yearbook advisor

“Since we have to collect individual photos from every student this year, it’s just more challenging than in a normal year where a photographer would come in and take all the pictures,” Hernandez said.

Even though the deadline has changed, the process of creating the yearbook is still very similar. The multi-step procedure is facilitated by the staff every step of the way. After taking pictures, the yearbook must be laid out.

[My favorite part] is doing the layouts, and kind of arranging how the book is going to look.

— Isa Travanty, senior and co-editor in chief

“[My favorite part] is doing the layouts, and kind of arranging how the book is going to look,” said Isa Travanty, senior. “I also like taking pictures and making sure everybody’s included.”

After taking pictures and laying out the pages, the final copy must be meticulously edited and proofread.

“I really like going through the pages and proof-reading everything, and making sure that everything is kind of consistent,” said Julia Schmitt, senior.

Despite this new delivery schedule, Copperdome may revert back to the old spring delivery next year.

“There’s two schools of thought on whether it’s better to have a full year yearbook… or to do it how we’ve done it before where we can hand things out in June,” Hernandez said. “[But] this book is really made by students for students, so it’s really up to them.”