Shorewood Ripples

Why holding out hope for in-person graduation is so important

Why holding out hope for in-person graduation is so important

Ella Kamm

May 10, 2020

In any normal year, the month of May is a busy time for seniors. There are recitals, pranks, awards, skip days, proms and college decisions to be made. Unfortunately, just like every other event imaginable, these celebrations have been altered due to coronavirus, or COVID-19. Instead of spending our last few m...

April 7 general election results

April 16, 2020

The ballots have been counted and the results are in for the April 7 general elections.    Mayor of Milwaukee It was between Tom Barrett and Lena Taylor for Milwaukee mayor. Barrett won the race, taking his fifth term with 63% votes and leaving Taylor with 37%.    Wisconsin Sup...

Village trustee candidates to run unopposed

courtesy Kathy Stokebrand and Arthur Ircink

Sophia Wiley

February 7, 2020

This year only two people, Kathy Stokebrand and Arthur Ircink, filed for the two open trustee positions on the village board, ruling out the possibility of a competitive campaign season. “Because we only have two positions that are vacant and only two people filed to run, those individuals wi...

District holds safety discussion

Laura Oldfather and Sophia Wiley

January 11, 2020

The Shorewood School District hosted a panel on school and student safety in the SHS auditorium on November 18 to discuss recent events that have happened at the school.  Superintendent Bryan Davis, as well as Tracy Oerter, Children’s Hospital Teen Mental Health director; Brooke Talbot, preside...

School board to hire owner’s representative as referendum project prepares to enter the contract bidding stage

Ella Kamm

January 11, 2020

The school board plans to hire an owner’s representative to review proposed contracts for the facilities referendum and manage the project. An owner’s representative is someone who acts as the spokesperson for the owner of a construction project. They are similar to a project manager, but ten...

Atwater Beach stairs revitalized

Photo of the new stairs leading down to Atwater Beach. The new stairs were put in this __, and should improve user safety.

Laura Oldfather

January 11, 2020

The stairs leading down to the lake at Atwater Beach were recently renovated. The stairs are frequently used by the community and need occasional repairs.  “The Atwater stairs are a valuable asset to the community,” said Joel Kolste, Assistant Director of Public Works.  “This project is...

District report card shows improvement

Ella Kamm and Noe Goldhaber

January 11, 2020

The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction released their annual school report cards, and the Shorewood School District received 83.8 points, meaning that it “significantly exceeds expectations.”  “It's just validation of all the really hard work the teachers and the staff and the students do to make su...

Student apprehended for creating “hit list,” possession of ammunition

Ella Kamm

November 12, 2019

A Shorewood High School student was arrested after another student reported a "hit list" to the school administration at 10:00 am. The list was confirmed to be real and the suspected author was in possession of a loaded magazine of ammunition. The district notified parents through Infinite Campus around...

Community debates improvements to Triangle Park

Triangle Park, a green-space at the five-way intersection of Woodburn St., Kenmore Pl. and Olive St. Its future is being decided by the Parks Commission.

Ethan McKaig

October 7, 2019

The Parks Commission is in the process of making a decision about what to do with Triangle Park, a green-space at the five-way intersection of Woodburn St., Kenmore Pl. and Olive St. At a meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 10, community members got to share their opinions as well. Over 50 people from the...

Shorewood Feast draws village together for a meal in the street

Laura Oldfather

October 1, 2019

On Saturday, September 14, from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Shorewood residents gathered in the street on Oakland Ave for the first ever Shorewood Feast, an event designed to bring the Shorewood community together. “It’s about the celebration of Shorewood, but it’s about food, and local businesse...

The Student News Site of Shorewood High School